Ann R. Stroink, M.D., FAANS
Dr. Ann Stroink is a board-certified neurosurgeon and senior partner of Central Illinois Neuro Health Sciences. Dr. Stroink was trained in general neurosurgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN (1979-85), under the supervision of Thorals Sundt, M.D., and fellowed in pediatric neurosurgery at the Hospital for Sick Children at the University of Toronto (1985).
Dr. Stroink is a passionate educator, researcher and philanthropist. In cooperation with local professionals, she established the Central Illinois Neuroscience Foundation, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to enhancing neuro healthcare through education and research. As Director of Continuing Medical Education for the Foundation, Dr. Stroink champions life-long learning in the neurosciences among physicians, nurses and allied health professionals. Building on the success of this program, Dr. Stroink and her colleagues, in collaboration with local hospitals, also established a neurosurgical residency program for which she currently serves as Interim Program Director. Dr. Stroink is consistently recognized for her educational efforts, receiving awards for faculty physician of the year four years running.
Hand in hand with her educational endeavors, Dr. Stroink is also an active clinical researcher with interests in the applications of biomedical materials and spinal instrumentation specific to the cervical spine. She has been instrumental in the design and implementation of several research protocols in her field including use of the CyberKnife(R), a non-invasive radiation system, in brain and spinal-cord cases. Her contributions to the body of evidence-based medicine have been published in some of the most rigorous and widely respected peer-reviewed journals. She also helps to supervise the CINF Cerebrovascular Research Laboratory at Illinois State University.
Skull Base Surgery with Takanori Fukushima, M.D., D.MSc, Hitachi-Kagoshima-Nagasaki, Japan, November-December 1994
Cyberknife Training and Protocol Development
Neurological Surgery, American Board of Neurological Surgeons
Clinical Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery, University of Illinois, Peoria, IL, 1986-1995
Faculty Member, Brain Attack Coalition of the American Heart Association November 1996
American Heart Association Stroke Council Fellowship, October 1998 Clinical Instructor, Dept of Surgery, University of Illinois School of Medicine, Champaign, IL, October 2001
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, July 2002
Society & Board Memberships
- Central Illinois Neuroscience Foundation, Co-Founder, Co-Director
- American Medical Association
- Illinois State Medical Society
- McLean County Medical Society
- Congress of Neurosurgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- McLean Area Medical Association
- Midwest Affiliate Board of Directors, American Heart Association
- American Board of Neurosurgery
- Stroke Council Fellowship, American Heart Association
- Brain Attack Coalition Faculty, American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- North American Spine Society
- Illinois Neurosurgical Society, President, 2004-2006
- Illinois Neurosurgical Society, Vice President, 2001-2003
- Illinois Neurosurgical Society, Secretary-Treasurer, 2000-2001
- Joint Section Cerebral Vascular Surgery, AANS
- OSF St. Joseph Executive Committee, President, 2000-2001
- OSF St. Joseph Executive Committee, Past President, 2001-2002
- OSF St. Joseph Medical Staff, Credentials Committee
- BroMenn Regional Medical Ctr, Grad Medical Education Committee, 2002-2003
- Cyberknife Society
- Diplomat to the Council of State Neurosurgical Societies
Director, Continuing Medical Education Central Illinois Neuroscience Foundation Bloomington, Illinois
- Central Illinois Neuroscience Foundation, Co-Founder, Co-Director
- Manness WK, Roth TC, Kattner KA, Stroink AR. Atypical Meningioma or Meningioma Mimic? 38th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Neuroradiology, April 2000, Atlanta, GA (Manness).
- Kattner KA, Roth TC, McKenna T, Stroink AR, Fukushima T. Evaluation of Regional Cortical Blood Flow During Temporary Arterial Occlusion. Joint Annual Meeting of the American Association of Neurologic Surgeons, The Congress of Neurologic Surgeons, and the American Society of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology, February 2000, Hawaii (Kattner).
- Stroink AR, Kattner KA, Amaral MA, Dornan WA. Anterior Single Level Cervical Plating versus Conventional Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion: A Retrospective Analysis on Return to Previous Level of Function. 1999 Congress of Neurological Surgeons, November 1999, Boston MA (Stroink)
- Kattner KA, McKenna T, Stroink AR, Roth TC, Fukushima T. Evaluation of Regional Cortical Blood Flow During Temporary Arterial Occlusion Using Thermal Diffusion Monitoring. 58th Annual Japanese Neurosurgical Society, October 1999, Tokyo, Japan (Kattner).
- Kattner KA, Fukushima T, Stroink AR, Gupta KL, Dornan WA. Evaluation of Optic Pathway Meningiomas. 52nd Annual Japanese Neurosurgical Society Meeting,October 1997, Osaka, Japan (Kattner).
- Beringer W, Ali M, Kattner KA, Stroink AR, Utility of CT and MR Image Fusion in Cyberknife Radiosurgery Planning, 2005 Annual Cyberknife Users’ Meeting, Half Moon Bay, California (Beringer)
- Update On Cranial Base and Complex Aneurysm Surgery. February 1996, Normal IL. CME provided by Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh PA
- Endovascular Treatment of Neurological Disease. November 1996, Normal IL. CME provided by Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh PA
- Management of Central Nervous System Malignancy. Nov. 1997, Normal IL. CME provided by Central Illinois Neuroscience Foundation, Bloomington, IL
- Brain Attack. March 1999, Bloomington, IL CME provided by Central Illinois Neuroscience Foundation, Bloomington, IL
- New Frontiers in Reconstructive Spine Surgery. May 2001, Bloomington, IL CME provided by Central Illinois Neuroscience Foundation, Bloomington, IL
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Cervical Root and Peripheral Nerve Lesions of the Upper Extremity: Carpal and Cubital Tunnel Syndromes. Perspectives in Neuroscience, October, 2001 CME provided by Central Illinois Neuroscience Foundation, Bloomington, IL
- AANS/CNS Spine Section 2001 Annual Meeting, Cervical Lordosis: Single Level Anterior Plating vs. Non-Plating Fusion Techniques. Phoenix, AZ.
- Anterior Cervical Fixation: Past and Future Considerations. 2000 Annual Clinical Assembly of Osteopathic Specialists. September 2000, Boston, MA.
- Clinical Evaluation of Low Back Pain and Differential Diagnosis. Contemporary Management of Low Back Pain. September 1998, Bloomington, IL.
- Strategies to Improve Awareness. Greater Atlanta Stroke Coalition. May 1998, Atlanta, GA. Peri-Operative Management of Cervical Spine Fractures. June 1998, Central Illinois Neuroscience Foundation, Bloomington, IL.
- Clinical Evaluation of Low Back Pain and Differential Diagnoses. Contemporary Management of Low Back Pain. September 1998, Bloomington, IL.
- AANS/2004 Annual Meeting, Off-Campus Cyberknife Planning Using CT & MR Imaging. Orlando, FL
- AANS/2005 Annual Meeting, Acoustic Schwannoma Management Rationale for Fractionated Cyberknife Radiosurgery, New Orleans, LA
- Primary Principal Investigator : Ray TFCÅ Cervical Device: A Prospective, Randomized, Multi-Center Investigation of the Safety and Efficacy of the Ray TFC Cervical Device. Sponsor: United States Surgical Corporation, Norwalk, Connecticut.
- Co-Investigator : PROACT Phase II/III: A Prospective Multicenter Study of Intra-Arterial and Intravenous Thrombolysis in Acute Middle Cerebral Artery Thromboembolic Stroke Using Recombinant Prourokinase. Sponsor : Abbott Laboratories, Abbott Park, IL. Proact Investigators : Intra-arterial prourokinase for acute ischemic stroke. The PROACT II study : a randomized controlled trial. Prolyse in Acute Cerebral Thromboembolism. JAMA 282(21):2003-2011, 1999.
- Co-Investigator: (CLASS) A Double-Blind, Parallel-Group, Multinational, Multi-Center study of the Efficacy and Safety of i.v. Clomethiazole Compared to Placebo in Patients with 1) Acute Ischemic Stroke, 2) treated with t-PA, 3) with acute intracerebral hemorrhage. Sponsor :AstraZeneca CRO: Parexel, Northbrook, IL.
- Co-Investigator: (GAIN) An International, Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study to Assess over 3 Months the Safety, Efficacy and Pharmacoeconomics of 800mg Loading Dose and Five 200mg Maintenance Doses of GV150526 in the Treatment of Patients with a Clinical Diagnosis of Acute Stroke. Sponsor: GlaxoWellcome, Inc., Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. GAIN Americas Investigators: Glycine antagonist in neuroprotection for patients with acute stroke: GAIN Americas: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 285(13):1719-1728, 2001.
- Co-Investigator : A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Safety, Efficacy, and Dose Response Trial of Three Intravenous Doses of a Potassium-Channel Opener (Neuroprotective) in Patients with Acute Stroke. Sponsor: Bristol Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute.
- Co-Investigator: Glioma Outcome Project (GO Project): A Long-Term Accumulation of Information about the Outcomes of Various Procedures Used for the Treatment of Malignant Gliomas. Sponsor: Rhone-Poulenc Rorer.
- Co-Investigator: Phase II, Treatment of Adults with Newly Diagnosed Primary Malignant Glioblastoma Multiforme with Temodar. Sponsor: Duke University Brain Tumor Center. Manufacturer: Shering Plough Research Institute.
- Co-Investigator: Phase III, Randomized, Multi-Center Trial in Surgical Resection, Gliadel Wafer, and Irradiation versus Surgical Resection and Irradiation Alone for Treatment of Operable, Solitary Brain Metastasis from Systemic Cancer. Sponsor: Ohio State University. Manufacturer: Rhone-Poulenc Rorer.
- Co-Investigator: Comparison of Autograft to a Demineralized Bone Matrix Combined with Autograft Used in Posterolateral Lumbar Spinal Fusion. Sponsor: Synthes Spine Company.
- Principal Investigator: PRESTIGE Artificial Disc: A prospective, randomized, multi-center investigation of the safety and efficacy of the PRESTIGE artivicial cervical disc. Sponsor: Medtronic Sofamor Danek, July, 2003 to present.
- Co-Investigator: PRESTIGE-LP Artificial disc: A prospective, multi-center clinical trial of An Artificial Cervical Disc – LP at a single level for symptomatic Cervical Disc Disease. Sponsor: Medtronic Sofamor Danek, February, 2005 to present
- Stroink AR, Skillrud DM, Keily JM, Sundt TM Jr. Carbamazepine-induced hemolytic anemia. Acta Haematol 72(5):346-348, 1984
- Micevych PE, Stroink A, Yaksh T, Go VL. Immunochemical studies of substance P and cholecystokinin octapeptide recovery in dorsal horn following unilateral lumbosacral ganglionectomy. Somatosens Res 3(3):239-260, 1986.
- Stroink AR, Hoffman HJ, Hendrick EB, Humphreys RP. Diagnosis and management of pediatric brainstem gliomas. J Neurosurg 65(6):745-750, Dec 1986.
- Stroink AR, Hoffman HJ, Hendrick EB, Humphreys RP, Davidson G. Transependymal benign dorsally exophytic brainstem gliomas in childhood: diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Neurosurgery 20(3):439-444, Mar 1987.
- Hoffman HJ, Stroink AR, Davidson G, Hendrick EB. Pediatric brain stem gliomas: evaluation of biopsy. Concepts Pediat Neurosurg 1987(7):105-116
- Kattner KA, Stroink AR, Gupta K, Fukushima T. Giant cell tumors of the sphenoid bone: a case report. Skull Base Surg 8:93-97, 1998.
- Campanelli M, Kattner KA, Stroink AR, Gupta, K, West, S. Posterior C1-C2 transarticular screw fixation in the treatment of type II odontoid fractures in the geriatric population. Review of seven cases. Surg Neurol 51(6):596-600, 1999.
- Kattner KA, Stroink AR, Roth TC, Lee JM. Rosai-Dorfman disease mimicking parasagittal meningioma: case presentation and review of literature. Surg Neurol 53(5):452-7, discussion 457, May 2000. Review.
- Troyanovich SJ, Stroink AR, Kattner KA, Dornan WA, Gubina I. Does anterior plating maintain cervical lordosis versus conventional fusion techniques? A retrospective analysis of patients receiving single level fusions. J Spinal Disord Tech 15(1):69-74, Feb 2002.
- Stroink AR, Troyanovich SJ, Kattner KA, Johns JD. Anterior plating versus conventional fusion technique in patients with cervical disc disease requiring one level fusion: a retrospective analysis of complications and return to previous level of functioning. J Neuromusculoskeletal System (submitted). Funded by: Surgical Dynamics.
- Kattner KA, McKenna T, Stroink AR. The use of neurogenic motor evoked-potential monitoring during the transpedicular removal of thoracic disc herniations. Neurosurgery (submitted).
- McCollom B, Kattner KA, Farner SM, Stroink AR. Intracranial hemorrhagic complications of warfarin therapy: factors associated with functional outcome. Cerebrovascular Diseases (submitted).
- Stroink AR, Micevych P, Yaksht T. Immunohistochemical Studies of Substance P and Cholecystokinin Recovery After Ganglionectomy. Amer. Assoc. Anatomists, 95th Annual Session, April 1982.
- Stroink AR, Micevych P, Go VLW, Yaksh TL. Immunohistochemical and Radioimmunoassay Studies of Substance P in the Dorsal Horn Following Ganglionectomy. Society for Neuroscience, 12th Annual Meeting, November 1982.
- Stroink AR, Micevych P, Go VLW, Yaksh TL. Immunochemical Studies of Substance P in the Dorsal Horn Following Ventral Root Rhizotomy. Amer. Assoc. Anatomists, 96th Annual Session, April 1983.
- Hoffman HJ, Stroink AR, Hendrick EB, Humphreys RP. Benign Brainstem Gliomas and Their Management. The International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery, Scientific Program, July 1985.
- Stroink AR, Hayden CJ, Kattner KA. Cervical Stenosis in Cerebral Palsy Patients (Abstract). 2nd Pan-Pacific Neurosurgery Congress, March 1997, Hawaii (Stroink).
- Kattner KA, Stroink AR, Gupta K, Fukushima T. Giant Cell Tumors of the Sphenoid Bone: A Case Report. 3rd European Skull Base Congress, April 1997, London, England (Kattner). [Skull Base Surgery 7:28 (Supplement 2), 1997]
- Young M, Kattner KA, Stroink AR, Gupta KL. MRI of Pituitary Gland Hyperplasia (Resulting From Primary Hyperthyroidism). 3rd European Skull Base Meeting, April 1997, London, England (Kattner). [Skull Base Surgery 7:28 (Supplement 2), 1997]
- Kattner KA, Stroink AR, Gupta K, Dornan WA. MRI of Orbital Tumors and Role of Fat Suppression. American Society of Neuroradiology, May 1997, Toronto, Canada (Gupta).
- Dornan WA, Kattner KA, Pegg EW, Stroink AR, Gupta KL, Hayden CJ, Dick HJ. Cerebral Ischemia in the Aged Rat: A Comparison of Infarct Size Between Males and Females Following Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion in the Rat. International Conference on Biomedical Aspects of Aging Research, December 1997, Venice, Italy (Dornan).
- Dornan WA, Stroink AR, Kattner KA, Pegg EW, Gupta KL, Hayden CJ, Dick HJ. Community Stroke Awareness Program Increases Public Knowledge of Stroke. 23rd International Joint Conference on Stroke and Cerebral Circulation, February 1998, Orlando, FL (Stroink). [Stroke 29(1):288, 1998]
- Dornan WA, Stroink AR, Kattner KA, Pegg EW, Gupta KL, Johns JD, Hayden CJ, Dick HJ. A Public Education Program is Associated with a Dramatic Decrease in Hospital Arrival Time in Patients with Acute Stroke. 24th American Heart Association International Conference on Stroke and Cerebral Circulation, February 1999, Nashville, TN (Stroink).
- Kattner KA, Stroink AR, Roth TC, Gupta K, Dornan WA. Rosai-Dorfman Disease Mimicking Parasagittal Meningioma. 10th Annual Meeting of the North American Skull Base Society, May 1999, Chicago, IL (Kattner). [Skull Base Surgery 9 (supplement 1):17, 1999]
- Kattner KA, McKenna T, Stroink AR, Roth TC, Fukushima T. Evaluation of Regional Cortical Blood Flow During Temporary Arterial Occlusion Using Thermal Diffusion Monitoring. 1st International Mt. Bandai Symposium for Neuroscience, October 1999, Koriyama, Fukushima, Japan (Kattner).
- Stroink AR, Kattner KA, Amaral MA, Dornan WA. Anterior Single Level Cervical Plating Versus Conventional Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion: A Retrospective Analysis on Return to Previous Level of Functioning. Congress of Neurosurgeons, November 1999, Boston MA.
- Kattner KA, McKenna T, Stroink AR. The Use of Motor Evoked Potential Monitoring During the Transpedicular Removal of Thoracic Disc Herniations. World Congress of Neurosurgeons, September 2001, Sydney, Australia.
- Kattner KA, McCollom B, Stroink AR. Intracranial Hemorrhagic Complications of Patients on Warfarin Therapy in the Community Hospital Setting: A Retrospective Outcome Review. 2nd International Mt. Bandai Symposium for Neuroscience, October 2001, Koriyama, Fukushima, Japan.
Medical School: Southern Illinois Univ. School of Medicine, Springfield IL
Residency: Neurosurgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
Fellowship: Pediatric Neurosurgery, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto
Board Certification: American Board of Neurological Surgery
Areas of Interest: Pediatric Neurosurgery
Fellow, Hospital for Sick Children, Pediatric Neurosurgery, Toronto, Canada, January 1985-July 1985
Internship & Residency, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, Neurological Surgery, June 1979-July 1985